- UNDP around the world
Many of UNDP's relationships with countries and territories on the ground exceed 60 years. Find details on our successes and ongoing work. Visit UNDP's global website.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Dem. Republic of)
- Congo (Republic of)
- Costa Rica
- Côte d'Ivoire
- Democratic People's Republic of Korea
- Denmark (Rep. Office)
- Dominican Republic
- E.U. (Rep. Office)
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Finland (Rep. Office)
- Geneva (Rep. Office)
- Iraq (Republic of)
- Kosovo (as per UNSCR 1244)
- Lao PDR
- Mauritius & Seychelles
- Norway (Rep. Office)
- Papua New Guinea
- Programme of Assistance to the Palestinian People
- Russian Federation
- Samoa (Multi-country Office)
- São Tomé and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- Sweden (Rep. Office)
- The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
- Tokyo (Rep. Office)
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United Arab Emirates
- Research & Publications
- News Centre
Supporting the Activities of Technology Innovation and Entrepreneurship Centre (TIEC)
What is the project about?
In partnership with the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology, this five-year project aims to support the Technology Innovation and Entrepreneurship Center, in achieving its mission to create an environment that nurtures talented ICT entrepreneurs with bright ideas, while enhancing Egypt’s reputation as a global competitor in high value-added innovation.
TIEC's incubation is one of the Technology Innovation and Entrepreneurship Center (TIEC)'s initiatives to promote entrepreneurship in the ICT sector. TIEC's incubation provides startups with location, equipment, mentorship and consultancy services in areas such as legal, accounting, financial, project management for one year. In April 2012 seven new startups were incubated in TIEC's incubator. The following two startups are examples of the success stories graduating from TIEC's incubation:
Bey2ollak: A cross-platform mobile application allowing users to share real-time information about Cairo and Alexandria traffic. The mobile application allows users to contribute in live traffic reports to avoid further bottlenecks and delays. Available as free Blackberry, Nokia, Windows phones, Android and iPhone downloads, the service can also be accessed using the mobile site. During its incubation, Bey2ollak won the nationwide competition "Start With Google" and also got Vodafone Egypt as a sponsor. Today the number of registered users using Bey2ollak mobile application is over 500,000 users.
Vivifi Haitham Desouky: A startup applying a new technology relying on electrostatic energy which can be applied to insulating surfaces like wood, plastic glass, marble and textile. The goal of this invention is to transform nonconductive surfaces with limited thickness (wood, glass, etc.) to touch sensors or screens with transparent stickers placed on opposite side of operation interface. There are many applications and products for this new technology. The first product for vivifi is the touch sticker which is made from a transparent sticker and ultra-thin isolated gold wires printed in the sticker by a wire printer machine. These wires are connected to a circuit that senses the touch points and sends it to the PC through a USB connection.
What have we accomplished so far?
- Established Hayiy Initiative which aspires to promote and encourage the SME sector as well as fresh graduates nationwide to develop Arabic-built web (Social Networks) and mobile applications, in order to enhance and boost the Arabic content online. Provided Speed Mentorship Workshops for 20 projects to help put the participants on the right track and answer their pressing questions on their business plans.
- Hosted the 1st International Innovation & Entrepreneurship Conference, an international forum to discuss and exchange recent developments, new ideas and challenges on Innovation and Entrepreneurship in Egypt, such as enriching web and mobile applications, transferring technology, starting businesses as well as learning about other countries’ experience in spreading innovation and entrepreneurship.
- Supporting Master in Telecommunications Engineering from Ain Shams University in Cairo.
- Summer training program in Smart Village and Egyptian universities.
Who finances this project?
Egyptian Ministry of Communications and Information Technology (MCIT)
Delivery in previous fiscal year
- Seed innovation and entrepreneurship courses at university level and vocational training institutions.
- Attending several conferences on ICT innovation and entrepreneurship at the national and international level.
- Supported the activities of E-Learning Competence Center (ELCC)
- Implemented Bel Masry event, Hayiy initiative and Start Up weekends.
- Project start date:
- Estimated end date:
- Geographic coverage:
- Focus Area:
- Poverty Reduction
- Goal 1: Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger, and Goal 3: Promote gender equality and empower women
- Project Officer:
- Sherif El Tokali
- Egyptian Ministry of Communications and Information Technology (MCIT), Egypt ICT Trust Fund
Research on Entrepreneurship and Innovation Support Entities
Egypt ICT Strategy 2012-2017
Technology Innovation and Entrepreneurship Strategy 2011-2014
The Technology Innovation and Entrepreneurship Center (TIEC) aims to drive innovation and entrepreneurship in ICT for the benefit of national economy. TIEC aims to stimulate an innovation-based economy through strategizing, facilitating, and promoting innovation, entrepreneurship, and the creation of intellectual property in ICT and its applications.