National Biodiversity Planning to Support the implementation of the CBD 2011-2020 Strategic Plan in Egypt (NBSAPs)
What is this project about?
This project is part of the second generation of Biodiversity Enabling Activities (BD EA) under the GEF. Egypt has been Party to the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) since 2 June 1994. The project addresses the country’s need to continue to fulfil its obligations under the CBD, with particular focus on the Convention’s Article 6 and the CBD COP Decision X/2. Above all, the project is a significant contribution to Egypt’s efforts towards implementing the CBD Strategic Plan 2011-2020 at the national level.
The project builds on the current status and achievements of Egypt with respect to biodiversity planning and reporting. It aims to integrate Egypt’s obligations under the CBD into its national development and sectoral planning frameworks through a renewed and participative ‘biodiversity planning’ and strategizing process. This process is expected to produce measurable targets for biodiversity conservation and sustainable use. It will equally ensure that the value of ecosystems’ goods and services, as well as the challenges and opportunities for ecosystem-based adaptation and resilience are taken into consideration in the process. The project will achieve its objective through the implementation of three components which are:
(1) A participative stocktaking exercise on biodiversity planning takes place and national biodiversity targets are developed in response to the global Aichi Targets;
(2)The NBSAP is revised/updated and it fully integrates new aspects of the CBD strategic plan, such as mainstreaming and anchoring the implementation of the plan into national development frameworks, valuing ecosystem services and promoting ecosystem-based adaptation and resilience;
(3)National frameworks for resource mobilization, Convention reporting and exchange mechanisms are strengthened.
What have we accomplished so far?
The project until now accomplished the followings:
- National study on stocktaking of the existing National Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan (NBSAP) to assess the implementation status as well as the level of knowledge for this strategy.
- Study on constrains and barriers that facing the conservation of biodiversity at the national level from 1998 until now.
- Establish the National Steering Committee on Biodiversity which contains 20 members from different ministries, universities, NGOs and private sectors.
- Produce the first draft on the 5th National Report on Status of Biodiversity which sent to the CBD Secretariat.
Produce the first draft of the NBSAP for national consultation.
Who finances this project?
Global Environment Fund Trustee and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Delivery in previous fiscal year
1.The project’s goal is to enable Egypt to integrate its CBD obligations into the national planning processes, in light of the CBD’s Strategic Plan 2011-2020.
2.The project objective is to integrate Egypt’s obligations under the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) into its national development and sectoral planning frameworks through a renewed and participative ‘biodiversity planning’ and strategizing process, in a manner that is in line with the global guidance contained in the CBD’s Strategic Plan for 2011-2020.
3.In order to achieve the above objective, three ‘outcomes’ (corresponding to GEF components) are expected from the project:
- Outcome 1 – A participative stocktaking process on biodiversity planning is conducted and national biodiversity targets are developed in response to the global Aichi Targets.
- Outcome 2 – The NBSAP is revised, updated and adopted by the Egyptian Government, and fully integrates new aspects of the CBD strategic plan.
- Outcome 3 – National frameworks for NBSAP implementation, CBD reporting, proper CHM exchange mechanisms and resource mobilization are established and strengthened.
4.the Outcomes of the project, as well as the expected outputs and activities under those, are thoroughly described in the GEF proposal.
- Project Start Date:
- Estimated End Date:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Focus Area:
- Environment and Energy
- Goal 7 – Ensuring Environmental Sustainability
- Project Officer:
- Amany Nakhla
- Egyptian Environmental Affairs Agency (EEAA)