South South Development Academy
What is the Project about?
The South-South Development Academy Egypt (SSDA) was established in 2014 as a chapter of the Global South-South Development Academy to share the development experiences of countries of the South, based on common interests and provide shared platforms of learning and knowledge-exchange among those facing similar development challenges. SSDA Egypt aims to foster self-reliance within the country and among other developing countries by enhancing Egypt's creative capacities to find solutions for its development problems through the exchange of information and experiences, as well as the sharing of technical and other resources.
The aim of SSDA Egypt is to build partnerships and provide development partners including governments, policy-makers, practitioners, UN agencies, NGOs and the private sector, with access to high-quality, peer-reviewed knowledge and expertise.
What have we accomplished so far?
- The South-South Development Academy Egypt project document was signed in August 2014.
- SSDA Egypt was established and operational as a chapter of the Global South-South Development (GSSD) Academy after a mission from the Office of South-South Cooperation came to Egypt.
- Feasibility study for the set up of a Trust Fund to support UNDP development programmes undertaken.
- Priority development activities implemented through ongoing UNDP projects.
- SSDA Egypt went to the Washington Expo held by the GSSDA, and won the UNOSSC award.
- SSDA Egypt participated in Cairo Innovates 2014 event that was held during the Global Entrepreneurship week.
- SSDA Egypt is working on documenting four successful solutions, and the team is constantly arranging for meetings with more successful initiatives.
Who finances this project?
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Operational Unit for Development Assistance (OUDA)
Delivery in previous fiscal year
- The programme will be designed on three stages as follows:
- Basic management skills required for 150 participants
- Specialized courses and diploma certificate
- Post graduate certification for highest performers (MBA or equivalent) in partnership with reputable academic institutions.
- Egypt is currently undergoing a transition since 2011 involving multidimensional economic, political and societal change.
- OUDA’s and UNDP’s key aim is to ensure that those that are typically left of out such processes, namely the poor and vulnerable groups, are part of inclusive political, economic and societal processes that lead to a better future for all Egyptians.