What is the Project About:
Smart Citizen is a platform designed to generate participatory processes of people in cities. Connecting data, people and knowledge, the objective of the platform is to serve as a node for building productive and open indicators, and distributed tools, and thereafter the collective construction of the city for its own inhabitants.
What Have We Accomplished So Far:
- 5-day capacity building Workshop on Design and Management of Social Innovation Labs – October 2014
- Hack4mobile: A mobile application development competition organized by UNDP and TIEC – October 2014
- Two-day Youth Social Justice Innovation Camp for youth, to gather inputs on their perceptions of Social Justice for the 2015 Egypt Human Development Report. 30 youth attended the workshop, and 6 solution ideas were developed ranging from mobile apps to tackle the issue of bad public infrastructure, alternative education, community driven centers for design thinking and innovation, arts and creativity centers for people with disabilities, etc. – November 2014
Who Finances It:
UNDP Innovation Facility
Delivery in Previous Fiscal Year:
- Over 1000 youth participated in UNDP lab activities since its launching in 2014.
- More than 100 ideas for projects generated by youth – 20 projects are currently being incubated and supported by the UNDP Innovation Lab.