Support to the National Council for Human Rights (INSAN) Phase II
What is the project about?
UNDP cooperation with the National Council for Human Rights (NCHR) started in 2003 upon the establishment of the Council within the framework of the Project INSAN1. INSAN II, signed in December 2009, is the second phase of collaboration between NCHR and UNDP to strengthen the capacity of the Council to provide recommendations to further the protection and promotion of human rights and to ensure and monitor the implementation of the Human Rights Conventions and Covenants signed by Egypt. In this respect, the project is supporting NCHR to achieve three major tasks. The first task is to review the National Action Plan for Human Rights (NAPHR) and to establish a mechanism to monitor its implementation in accordance with the recommendations of the Universal Periodic Review (UPR) for Egypt as well as the recommendations of the UN Treaty Bodies. The second task is to develop national capacity for election monitoring by NGOs with a view to strengthening democratic institutions and building confidence in the election process.. The third task is to enhance in-depth knowledge and capacity building in election systems and processes through the conduct of Training of Trainers (ToT) n BRIDGE (Building Resources in Democratic Governance and Elections); accrediting a core national team as BRIDGE facilitators; and the development of a guide on polling and vote counting.
What have we accomplished so far?
- In 2009, UNDP collaborated with the National Council for Human Rights (NCHR) to prepare the Council’s report for Egypt’s UPR in February 2010 through a broad consultative process with NGOs which was based on
- A Comprehensive briefing and orientation on the UPR Process and specifically on the role of the NCHR as the National Human Rights Institution (NHRI); providing comparative country experiences with the UPR process; development of the Work plan outlining the role of the National Council for Human Rights to contribute to the different phases of the UPR for Egypt.
- Preparation of an Information Note on the UPR for presentation to NGOs and national stakeholders
- Development of UPR website of the NCHR containing an Information Note on the UPR, the role of NHCR, the Agenda for Reform and questionnaires for opinion polls; reports on the hearing sessions with NGOs as well as the Information Note on the UPR.
- Organization of 3 hearing sessions, in the governorates of Cairo, Alexandria and Assiut, with the participation of 150 NGOs from all over Egypt.
- Mobilizing the expertise to develop a questionnaire, conduct a survey and analyze the findings of the responses of NGOs
- Professional translation of the NCHR UPR report into English
- In preparation for the parliamentary elections in 2010, the project supported the establishment of the Elections Management Support Unit (EMSU), conduct of training for NGOs on elections observation and organized training for researchers on BRIDGE
- In December 2013, OHCHR and UNDP conducted a joint needs-assessment of NCHR to formulate a joint program of technical support to the Council.
- In January 2014, the project supported the Council to prepare it report to Egypt’s Second UPR which is scheduled for November 2014
Who finances this project?
Delivery in previous fiscal year
- Project start date:
- Estimated end date:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Focus Area:
- Democratic Governance
- Project Officer:
- Naglaa Arafa