Support to the National Council for Human Rights (INSAN) Phase II
What is the project about?
UNDP cooperation with the National Council for Human Rights (NCHR), within the framwork of the Project INSAN1, started in 2004 upon the establishment of the council. The second phase of UNDP cooperation with NCHR, INSAN II was signed in December 2009 and was designed to:
- Review the National Action Plan for Human Rights (NAPHR) and establish a mechanism to monitor its implementation in accordance with the recommendations of the Universal Periodic Review (UPR) for Egypt as well as the recommendations of the UN Treaty Bodies.
- Develop national capacity for election monitoring by NGOs with a view to strengthening democratic institutions and building confidence in the election process.
- Enhance in-depth knowledge of Training of Trainers (ToT) on BRIDGE (Building Resources in Deomcratic Governance and Elections); accrediting a core national team as BRIDGE facilitators; and the development of a guide on polling and vote counting.
What have we accomplished so far?
- UNDP collaborated with the National Council for Human Rights (NCHR) to prepare the Council’s report for Egypt’s UPR in February 2010 through a broad consultative process with NGOs which was based on:
- A comprehensive briefing and orientation on the UPR Process and specifically on the role of the NCHR as the National Human Rights Institution (NHRI); providing comparative country experiences with the UPR process; development of the Work plan outlining the role of the National Council for Human Rights to contribute to the different phases of the UPR for Egypt.
- Preparation of an Information Note on the UPR for presentation to NGOs and national stakeholders.
- Development of UPR website of the NCHR containing an Information Note on the UPR, the role of NHCR, the Agenda for Reform and questionnaires for opinion polls; reports on the hearing sessions with NGOs as well as the Information Note on the UPR.
- Organization of 3 hearing sessions, in the governorates of Cairo, Alexandria and Assiut, with the participation of 150 NGOs from all over Egypt.
- Mobilizing the expertise to develop a questionnaire, conduct a survey and analyze the findings of the responses of NGOs.
- In preparation for the parliamentary elections in 2010, the project supported the establishment of the Elections Management Support Unit (EMSU), conducted training for NGOs on elections observation and organized training for researchers on BRIDGE.
- In December 2013, OHCHR and UNDP conducted a joint needs-assessment of NCHR to formulate a joint program of technical support to the Council.
- The National Council for Human Rights (NCHR) demonstrated strengthened capacity to support fulfillment of Egypt's nationally and internationally ratified human rights through the presentation in 2014 of their second independent report to Egypt's second universal periodic review (UPR). The report was prepared through a consultative process led by the Council with the involvement of NGOs.
- From 16-18 November 2014, the NCHR with the support of UNDP and the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) hosted a three-day workshop titled “Using Indicators to Implement and Measure Human Rights in Egypt” to introduce the OHCHR Framework for Human Rights Indicators and enhance national capacities for Monitoring & Evaluation in Human rights. The workshop was attended by NCHR researchers, representatives from the Ministry of International Cooperation and representatives of NGOs.
Who finances this project?
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Delivery in previous fiscal year
$ 16,242.27 (2014)
- Project start date:
- Estimated end date:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Focus Area:
- Democratic Governance
- Project Officer:
- Ms. Naglaa Arafa
- National Council for Human Rights (NCHR)