Strengthening Result Management Capacities to Support National Development
What is this project about?
The objective of the project is to strengthen the capacity for Result Based Management (RBM) in Egypt to increase the effectiveness of national development efforts. The project is the first phase of a two phase process that will initially strengthen internal capacities for RBM in the Ministry of State of Administrative Development (MSAD) and extend RBM technical support to a number of priority ministries during the course of phase 2.
The project aims to strengthen capacities through a multi-phased approach designed to build on existing capacities and the demonstration effects of a few pilot entities. At the end of the project (phase 1 and 2), Government, national stakeholders and development partners should have customized, strong and useful frameworks, systems and tools to support results-based planning, monitoring, evaluation and reporting of the National Development Plan and other National Entities’ Development Plans.
What have we accomplished so far?
- RBM MSAD unit established in the Ministry of State of Administrative Development (MSAD).
- The scope of the project was reformulated to also include the design of a National RBM Framework which is intended to clarify national development outcomes and outputs, roles and responsibilities and facilitate the monitoring and reporting on results.
- A National Coordinating Mechanism (NCM) was formulated which includes seven national entities: MSAD, Egyptian Cabinet, Central Agency for Authority and Administration, Ministry of Local Development, Ministry of Planning, Ministry of Finance, and the Social Fund for Development. A series of NCM RBM meetings was conducted to coordinate and harmonize the work among the main stakeholders’ ministries and agencies, to articulate the National RBM Framework, and to identify the top priority ministry (pilot ministry) that will adopt the RBM framework.
- The African Community of Practice (COP) was selected to be the potential COP partner of the project that will support the MSAD RBM team with materials, knowledge and experience-sharing, as well as provide access to online discussion forums to discuss implementation issues of RBM.
- Several RBM trainings were conducted for national officials on basic concepts and tools of RBM.
- Although the project was delayed due to the political events in the country and several changes in government, the project still enjoys strong commitment on the part of government and donors. The project was therefore recently extended to make up for unforeseen implementation delays.
- The current focus of the project is on the institutionalization of RBM into MSAD as a pilot Ministry and creating an RBM center of excellence within MSAD to support other ministries once replication takes place at the national level. A National RBM framework will be developed following the completion of the MSAD RBM pilot.
- An RBM Committee has been formed in the Ministry of Administrative Development, reporting directly to the Minister to provide oversight and leadership on the RBM institutionalization process.
- An RBM expert consultant has been recruited to 1. To support the Ministry of State for Administrative Development (MSAD) in developing and finalizing a Multi-year Strategic Results Framework and Annual Workplan (with Impact, Outcome and Outputs level results and associated performance indicators and targets);
Who finances this project?
Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA)
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
Ministry of State of Administrative Development
Delivery in previous fiscal year
- Developing the capacity of countries to work within a RBM framework provides them with an enabling environment to achieve their development goals including the MDGs.
- Applying RBM to the national development agenda is about seeking to ensure that resources spent are used in the most effective and efficient manner and contribute to sustainable development of the country.
- This RBM initiative is intended to improve the current Government of Egypt planning monitoring and reporting processes, focusing on results-based planning and monitoring with an analysis of short and medium term results and long term impacts.
- The project focuses on the institutionalization of RBM in MSAD as a pilot Ministry. and creating an RBM center of excellence within MSAD to support other ministries once replication takes place at the national level. A National RBM framework will be developed following the completion of the MSAD RBM pilot.
- The implementation of a National RBM Framework will enable different government entities to clarify its planned development outcomes and results, roles and responsibilities, and facilitate the monitoring and reporting on results. It will also ensure linkages; horizontally between Ministries and other relevant government entities and vertically to the subnational level (governorates, cities, districts etc.)