Strengthening Results Management Capacities to Support National Development
What is this project about?
The objective of the project is to strengthen the capacity for Results Based Management (RBM) in Egypt in support of national development efforts. The project is the first phase of a two phase process that will initially strengthen internal capacities for RBM in the Ministry of State of Administrative Development (MSAD) and extend RBM technical support to a number of priority ministries during the course of phase 2.
The project aims to strengthen capacities through a multi-phased approach designed to build on existing capacities and the demonstration effects of a few pilot entities. At the end of the project (phase 1 and 2), Government, national stakeholders and development partners should have customized, strong and useful frameworks, systems and tools to support results-based planning, monitoring, evaluation and reporting of the National Development Plan and other National Entities’ Development Plans.
What have we accomplished so far?
- RBM unit established within the Ministry of State of Administrative Development (MSAD) to manage project activities and coordinate between concerned parties
- A National Coordinating Mechanism (NCM) was formed comprising top and middle management representatives from the following entities: Egyptian Cabinet, Ministry of State for Local Development, Ministry of State for Administrative Development, Ministry of Planning Ministry of Finance, Central Agency for Organization and Administration, and Social Fund for Development. A series of NCM RBM meetings was conducted to coordinate and harmonize the work among the main stakeholders to articulate the National RBM Framework
- As part of knowledge and experience-sharing, a membership was acquired to the African Community of Practice (COP) providing access to materials and online discussion forums on RBM
- RBM trainings were conducted for national officials on basic concepts and tools of RBM.
- An RBM Committee of 15 mid-management officials was formed within the Ministry of Administrative Development, reporting directly to the Minister to provide oversight and leadership on the RBM institutionalization process, and training was provided to the Committee on how to formulate strategic results frameworks that include (impact, results, outcomes, and outputs).
- MSAD Strategic Results Framework (SRF) 2014-2018 (with Impact, Outcomes, Outputs, and results) was developed through a participatory approach during workshops attended by MSAD RBM Committee and various staff members from different units/departments of MSAD, and was endorsed by the Minister in June 2014. The SRF was further revised in light of the new administrative and planning reform visions and the merger of MSAD within the Ministry of Planning, Monitoring and Administrative Reform.
Who finances this project?
Ministry of Planning, Monitoring and Administrative Reform
Government of Canada, Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development (DFATD)
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Delivery in previous fiscal year
- Developing the capacity of countries to work within a RBM framework provides them with an enabling environment to achieve their development goals including the MDGs.
- Applying RBM to the national development agenda is about seeking to ensure that resources spent are used in the most effective and efficient manner and contribute to sustainable development of the country.
- This RBM initiative is intended to improve the current Government of Egypt planning monitoring and reporting processes, focusing on results-based planning and monitoring with an analysis of short and medium term results and long term impacts.
- The project focuses on the institutionalization of RBM in MSAD as a pilot Ministry. and creating an RBM center of excellence within MSAD to support other ministries once replication takes place at the national level. A National RBM framework will be developed following the completion of the MSAD RBM pilot.
- The implementation of a National RBM Framework will enable different government entities to clarify its planned development outcomes and results, roles and responsibilities, and facilitate the monitoring and reporting on results. It will also ensure linkages; horizontally between Ministries and other relevant government entities and vertically to the subnational level (governorates, cities, districts etc.)