Integrating Human Rights in Higher Education
What is the project about?
As the country makes the transition to democracy, there is an urgent need for civic education and for building a culture of human rights as well as democratic values and practices. Strengthening the capacity of the higher education system for human rights education is critical to promote the culture and principles of human rights for a large target group of the Egyptians namely the youth students in the higher education system. The project is designed to make students more aware of their rights as citizens; and to promote the understanding and awareness of democracy, the rule of law and freedom of expression. The strategy of the project is to integrate the culture, values and practices of Human Rights in Higher Education using a student-centered learning approach with a focus on the faculties of education to promote awareness on human rights among the future teachers of pre-university education.
- Strengthened higher education policies and institutions for Human Rights Education through the preparation of the National Action Plan for Human Rights Education and establishment of the National Committee for Human Rights Education;
- University graduates and professors are equipped with advanced knowledge and understanding of human rights standards, values and mechanisms;
- Promotion of a human rights friendly environment in higher education institutions.
The project directly support Egypt’s pledge to the UPR (Universal Periodic Review) to create human rights curricula for the different stages of education, including university education as well as the UPR recommendation to continue its efforts on Human Rights Education in order to guarantee practice of all people of their rights.
What have we accomplished so far?
- The project will start in the second quarter of 2014 .
Who finances this project?
- Expected Project Start Date:
- Mid 2014
- Estimated End Date:
- Geographical Coverage:
- Focus Area:
- Democratic Governance
- Goal 3: Promote Gender Equality and Empower Women
- Project Officer:
- Naglaa Arafa
- Ministry of Higher Education