Strategic Development Plan of Southern Egypt (New Valley)
What is this project about?
What have we accomplished so far?
- A communication strategy was developed for the project to increase project outreach and communication with all stakeholders
- A National Housing Observatory (NUO) was established and is currently compiling a number of housing indicators at the central level; this is done in accordance with UNHABITAT conventions to ease the processes of human settlement planning and management
- The NUO concluded seven profiles for the capitals of the seven economic planning regions: Cairo, Alexandria, Tanta, Ismailia, Menya, Assuit and Aswan. In the course of preparing the seven profiles and the comprehensive report, the project offered on-job training and technical assistance to cadres of the NUO. A workshop was hosted by the NUO to present the comprehensive report titled “the State of Egyptian Human Settlements” which includes the profiles of the seven cities.
- A detailed plan was prepared for the area of North of Karnak in Luxor
- A new initiative was launched to develop an informal settlement surrounding the Temple of Esna. This included a specialized historical study of the area, an assessment of current conditions, in addition to a set of recommendations and ideas for projects for physical infrastructure, water management, solid waste management in addition to projects targeting social and economic development.
Who finances this project?
The General Organization for Physical Planning (GOPP)
Delivery in previous fiscal year