6 Reduce child mortality
Where do we stand?
Egypt is strongly committed toward including the survival and development of children at the core of its policy agenda and throughout past years exerted efforts to improve health care services for all children and provided social protection to children and families in difficult situations.
Progress toward achieving the MDGs in the area of child and infant mortality is clearly noticeable and indicators are showing that Egypt have already achieved the goal for child mortality and is most likely to reduce infant mortality to the stated target by 2015. Disparities by geographic locations (regions, Governorates …) and socioeconomic characteristics, is still prevailing and require specific targeting policies to continue progress at all levels.
The 8 Millennium Development Goals
- 1 Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
- 2 Achieve universal primary education
- 3 Promote gender equality and empower women
- 4 Reduce child mortality
- 5 Improve maternal health
- 6 Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- 7 Ensure environmental sustainability
- 8 Develop a global partnership for development
Targets for MDG4
- Reduce by two thirds the mortality rate among children under five
- Under-five mortality rate
- Infant mortality rate
- Proportion of 1 year-old children immunised against measles