6 Promote gender equality and empower women
Where do we stand?
The government of Egypt has shown a committment to gender equality and the empowerment of women, for both achieving this goal as well as accelerating progress in the implementation of the full MDGs.
Eliminating the gender gap at various levels of education has been proceeding in the right direction. The Gender target in primary education is very likely to be acieved by2015 while female enrollment rates in general secondary education is higher than those of boys and the gender gap in secondary education is expected to exceed the expected target in 2015.
For tertiary level, the gap has been totally closed in the theoretical faculties, but still exists in the scientific faculties. Concerning female literacy, the gender gap is expected to reach 0.4 % in 2015, but the share of women in wage employment in the non-agricultural sector is very low and it is not expected to change significantly by 2015. The proportion of seats held by women in both houses of Parliament is still far below equality and the target of 50% is not, expected by 2015.
UNDP's work in Egypt
By Marwa Elnokrashy and Karim Ezzeldin Fatma Ibrahim, a poor mother of six, has been illiterate all her life. As a child, her hardworking parents mademore
- View More Stories
Since 2006, Yosra El Sayed, a 25-year-old mother of a two, had been struggling for the survival of her small Bedouin handicraft shop, which competes againstmore
The 8 Millennium Development Goals
- 1 Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
- 2 Achieve universal primary education
- 3 Promote gender equality and empower women
- 4 Reduce child mortality
- 5 Improve maternal health
- 6 Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- 7 Ensure environmental sustainability
- 8 Develop a global partnership for development
Targets for MDG3
- Eliminate gender disparity in primary and secondary education preferably by 2005, and at all levels by 2015
- Ratios of girls to boys in primary, secondary and tertiary education
- Share of women in wage employment in the non-agricultural sector
- Proportion of seats held by women in national parliament