6 Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
Where do we stand?
Egypt had already achieved target 1 (Halving between 1990 and 2015, the proportion of people living in extreme poverty - on an income of less than 1.25 dollars a day) which is only limited to extreme poverty, although the poverty level, based on the national line is much higher. Progress during past years was mainly the result of high-level economic growth and adopting pro-poor policies.
Target 3 (Halving between 1990 and 2015 the Proportion of people who suffer from hunger) is a reason for concern, yet it is possible to be reached by 2015 if certain changes took place. Target 2 (Achieving full and productive employment and decent work for all, including women and young people) is, affected by prevailing recent conditions and remains a serious challenge, especially for women and young people. It is not likely to be achieved by the target date of 2015.
Most importantly, geographic disparities in the levels of poverty and hunger are also clearly noticeable.
UNDP's work in Egypt
By Marwa Elnokrashy and Karim Ezzeldin Fatma Ibrahim, a poor mother of six, has been illiterate all her life. As a child, her hardworking parents mademore
- View More Stories
The 8 Millennium Development Goals
- 1 Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
- 2 Achieve universal primary education
- 3 Promote gender equality and empower women
- 4 Reduce child mortality
- 5 Improve maternal health
- 6 Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- 7 Ensure environmental sustainability
- 8 Develop a global partnership for development
Targets for MDG1
- Reduce by half the proportion of people living on less than a dollar a day
- Proportion of population below $1 (PPP) per day
- Poverty gap ratio
- Share of poorest quintile in national consumption
- Achieve full and productive employment and decent work for all, including women and young people
- Growth rate of GDP per person employed
- Employment-to-population ratio
- Proportion of employed people living below $1 (PPP) per day
- Proportion of own-account and contributing family workers in total employment
- Reduce by half the proportion of people who suffer from hunger
- Prevalence of underweight children under-five years of age
- Proportion of population below minimum level of dietary energy consumption